10 years ago, on January 5, 2000, I gave birth to a wirey, blonde-headed, bird-legged little angel. She was my first daughter and my first born. I can't believe she's hit the double digits now. I can't believe it's been ten whole years since motherhood landed on me like a piano.
My little Hallie has been a beaming ray of sunshine since the day she was born. In honor of her big one-O, I've put together my list of top ten reasons I love my Hallie Liz:
1. She's my oldest. I get to make all my mistakes on her. And she still loves me.
2. She's the Energizer Bunny. She keeps going...and going...and going...
3. She's kind. She cares about others' feelings and is always making sure everyone's happy...especially mommy.
4. She's a wonderful big sister. Her little brothers love her. She's always good for a piggyback ride or dragging them around on one of their toy cars outside.
5. Hallie is so helpful. She loves to serve and always does so willingly, sometimes without being asked.
6. She's tender-hearted.
7. Hallie has the best sense of humor of any ten year old I know. (translation: she laughs at the same stuff as I do)
8. The girl is smart. She won her 3rd grade spelling bee last year. She's an excellent student and her teachers always give her glowing reviews.
9. Hallie is fun. She's not afraid to get up and dance or sing in front of a group. She's got some pretty dang impressive moves, too.
10. She's so thoughtful. When I'm sad or angry or worn out, I can always count on Hallie to draw a happy little picture or a note and leave it lying around to surprise me. Hallie is Giselle from Enchanted. Never seen it? You need to.
Happy birthday, my little chicken legs! I love you!